Monday 20 August 2012

A Sad Day in Hollywood Today - R.I.P. Tony Scott

Today is indeed a sad day not only in Hollywood, but for movie lovers around the globe.  The apparent suicide of Tony Scott has left people the world over in shock and disbelief!  It is yet another shocking wake up call that depression is very real, and it is not selective with who it chooses to engulf.  


Growing up, Tony Scott was always one of my favourite film makers.  When I think how much I used to watch Top Gun with my friends Sarah and Joanne, we always used to quote it to one an other, Joanne and I nicknaming each other Mav and Ice, lol.  I remember us constantly rewinding the video at our favourite parts and playing it in slow motion, frequently blasting out the soundtrack and being in love with Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise. :)  I swear my friend Sarah joined the R.A.F. so she could nab herself her own Maverick...which she did!  She is now married to her pilot with a little boy and triplet girls. :)


He cemented my love of Patricia Arquette with True Romance, one of the truly greatest films of all time, and still to this day my favourite Tarantino script!  With True Romance, he had one of the most epic casts physically possible in a movie.  He made me love Brad Pitt all the more, furthered my total obsession with Val Kilmer and made my young self appreciate a god damn great cast in a wonderfully brilliant and fucked up movie.  


His brilliance with working with a large scale cast in a great action movie was furthered with the totally underrated Crimson Tide, a movie that I can watch again and again.  He realised how great Viggo Mortensen was prior to LoTR...a point that brother Ridley clearly appreciated when he cast Viggo as Master Chief Urgayle in G.I. Jane just two years later.  A film in which Ridley also nabbed unused submarine footage from Crimson Tide.  


With The Hunger, I still to this day determine it to be one of the greatest vampire flicks of all time.  And a film that Blade clearly stole the opening nightclub sequence from.  It was a wonderful start from this British director that led to a truly illustrious career. 


As a producer he had his hand in some of the best and quirkiest films Hollywood has ever produced, from Clay Pigeons (a personal favourite!!) to the The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which also starred my beloved Jeremy Renner alongside Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.  As a producer he had a shit load of films in the pipeline, for years to come.  It's a shame to know that his brilliance will no longer touch these films.  

And whilst it is sad to know that the world has lost one of its great entertainers, it is all the sadder for the wife and two kids, brother Ridley and the rest of the family and friends he has left behind.  

R.I.P. Tony Scott, and thank you for all the wonderful memories you have left me with, and the films that I can cherish forever!  You will forever remain a legend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments section is there to discuss and converse. Constructive criticism is always good, bad mouthing people and being a douche is not! So don't be a douche, mmmm'kay!